You are about to leave the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices website and go to an external website.
Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy (TPLO) System
The DePuy Synthes TPLO System has been designed for you and your patients in conjunction with and approved by the AO Technical Commission to ensure the best possible outcomes.1* The DePuy Synthes TPLO System is the ONLY AO-Approved TPLO System.
Proven Clinical Outcomes
of servicing the veterinary community
Features & Benefits
Use of two Dynamic Compression Unit (DCU) Holes in shaft of plate
DePuy Synthes TPLO Plates have two DCU holes in the shaft of the plate to allow for compression of bone segments which creates an environment conducive to bone healing.3
Shape and screw trajectories established through advanced imaging and extensive cadaver studies.
- Minimizes the need to contour the proximal section of the plate1†
- Mitigates the risk of intra-articular screw placement1
Precise locking interface between DePuy Synthes plate and screws
Use of DePuy Synthes locking screws in the head of the DePuy Synthes TPLO Plate allows for better maintenance of tibial plateau position during plate application and throughout the bone healing process compared to use of conventional screws.1,4
Implants offered in multiple sizes
A full range of patented plate designs that suit the full breadth of the patient population. Includes:
- 3.5mm Small
- 3.5mm Broad
Biologically favorable TPLO Saw Blades
The DePuy Synthes TPLO Saw Blade System has a fine-tooth profile that outperforms traditional biradial blade designs with5‡:
- Up to 64% less heat generation
- 45% less time above necrotic temperature limit
- Up to 63% higher cutting rate
Patented TPLO Jig and Saw Guide System
The DePuy Synthes TPLO Jig is designed to maintain stability and limb alignment while performing the TPLO procedure.6 The range of TPLO Saw Guides allow multiple positions for versatile positioning to accommodate a broad spectrum of patient anatomies.
Is there a risk to mixing implants from different manufacturers?
The precision design of DePuy Synthes products is very important for long-term product function and optimal fit between implants. The mixing of DePuy Synthes implants with implants from other companies is not recommended. The overall performance may be compromised due to differences in design, chemical composition, mechanical properties, and quality.
What does it mean to be AO Approved?
DePuy Synthes and the AO, through the AOTC, have collaborated on new product development for more than 60 years. There is a rigorous process in place including product initiation and voice of customer, assessment, usability testing, and certification of the product.
Do DePuy Synthes plates come with K-wire holes?
Yes, K-wire holes were introduced on DePuy Synthes TPLO plates in 2021. They may be used to temporarily fixate the plate to the bone. There are two distal K-wire holes for flexibility in placement and they are angled to avoid interference with drill guides.
What size TPLO implants are available?
DePuy Synthes TPLO plates are available as follows: 2.0mm; 2.4mm; 2.7mm; and 3.5mm (small, standard, and broad) to accommodate small, medium, and large breed dogs.
What instruments are required for use with the System?
To use the DePuy Synthes TPLO System, the veterinary surgeon will need:
- Small or Mini Fragment set
- TPLO Jig & Saw Guides
- Small Battery Drive Set
Can you achieve compression with the TPLO plate?
DePuy Synthes TPLO Plates have two Dynamic Compression Unit (DCU) holes in the shaft of the plate to allow for compression of bone segments, which creates an environment conducive to bone healing.3
How many surgeries have been performed with the DePuy Synthes TPLO System?
More than 500,000 TPLO surgeries have been performed with the DePuy Synthes TPLO System.
When was the DePuy Synthes TPLO System developed?
The DePuy Synthes TPLO system was developed in 2006.
*AO Foundation is a 3rd party medically guided, not-for-profit organization led by an international group of surgeons specialized in the treatment of trauma and disorders of the musculoskeletal system.
†DePuy Synthes TPLO plates compared to commercially available TPLO Plates.
‡DePuy Synthes TPLO Sawblades compared to Slocum biradial sawblades.
- Kowaleski MP, Boudrieau RJ, Beale BS, Piras A, Hulse D, Johnson KA. Radiographic outcome and complications of tibial plateau leveling osteotomy stabilized with an anatomically contoured locking bone plate. Vet Surg. 2013;42:847-852.
- DePuy Synthes TPLO Complaint and Sales Data 2006 - 2021. 7/1/2021. Windchill Document #0000313679.
- Egol KA, Kubiak EN, Fulkerson E, Kummer FJ, Koval KJ. Biomechanics of locked plating and screws. J Orthop Trauma. 2004;18(8):488-493.
- Leitner M, Pearce SG, Windolf M, et al. Comparison of locking and conventional screws for maintenance of tibial plateau positioning and biomechanical stability after locking tibial plateau leveling osteotomy plate fixation. Vet Surg. 2008;37:357-365.
- Farrell M, Mathieson A, Chung P, et al. In vitro performance testing of two arcuate oscillating saw blades designed for use during tibial plateau leveling osteotomy. Vet Surg. 2011;40:694-707.
- Burton, Fitzpatrick: Evaluation of cut accuracy and cis cortical damage for tplo performed with and without aid of a novel saw guide: an in vitro study. Vet Surg. 2013;42:28-37.
For stabilizing osteotomies of the canine proximal tibia.
© DePuy Synthes 2014-2019. All Rights Reserved. This site is published by the DePuy Synthes Companies, which are solely responsible for its content. This site is governed solely by applicable U.S. laws and governmental regulations. This site is for visitors from the United States. The third party trademarks used herein are the trademarks of their respective owners.